Friday 28 September 2007

Welcome


The title kind of says it all. I've been fascinated with bad music for decades, those cringe-inducing sounds so beloved of the old Kenny Everett and Dr Demento radio shows: Jimmy Cross's I Want My Baby Back; Jess Conrad; Mrs Miller; terrible novelty songs and pretty much anything ever recorded by Brigitte Bardot. That sort of thing.

They call it 'outsider music' in the US: most people just call it crap. Think of it as the aural equivalent of watching a car crash.

Over the years I've collected hundreds of 7", EPs LPs, CDs and, more recently, MP3s of these crimes against music. The internet has been an incredible boon, littered with obscurities, oddities and downright awful sounds, and it's my intention over the coming weeks, months or years (or however long it takes me to get bored of this) to post some of those tunes, or links to other sites hosting them, here along with - when available - artwork and background information.

First up is the aformentioned I Want My Baby Back, a minor hit in the US in 1965 for Jimmy Cross, based in no small part of the Shangri-Las 'Leader of the Pack', reissued in the late 70s on 7" and on the compilation album The World's Worst Record Show in the UK .
Hope you enjoy the ride.




3 comments:

  1. Dear Darryl, thanks for posting these truly tragic records... they are as entertaining as a funfair at a funeral. Truly classical badness that deserves to be listened to in awe, with affection and true and abject fear. I really appreciate your efforts.
    My very best Sir!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! It's always great to hear from someone who appreciates these wonderful recordings. have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Youtube link for "I Want My Baby Back":

    http://youtu.be/h0x8S1U7O3w

    ReplyDelete

WWR Most Popular Posts